Accessible Page Links

Page Tools

Main page Content

Student services and support programs

Assisting children with learning, social and emotional issues
What does the Guidance Officer do?
Guidance Officers are employed by Education Queensland to work with children.  Some staff work at a number of schools.The type of support can depend on the needs of the child, available services and resources.
How do I work out if my child should see the Guidance Officer?
Any social or emotional difficulty that significantly interferes in your child’s school life can be referred.  Problems outside of school need to be referred to outside agencies.
How do I refer my child?
Ask the classroom teacher for a Special Needs Referral Form to be sent home.  Complete the form and return it to the teacher. 
Ian Berghofer
Assisting students with special needs in communication.
What does the Speech-Language Pathologist do?
Speech-Language Pathologists (SLPs) are employed by the Department of Education and Training (DET). SLPs provide services for students with special needs in communication who are experiencing barriers to learning.
SLPs are university trained health professionals who are able to assess, diagnose and treat communication and swallowing difficulties.
DET SLPs also work closely with the school team to implement oral language and metalinguistic programs (whole school approaches, whole class programs, and support programs)
Students with special needs in communication may need SLP assistance in the following areas:
         Oral Language: Understanding directions, questions and different types of word and sentence structures; expressing information, knowing the words for things (vocabulary), and asking questions.
         Speech: Being able to say sounds correctly.
         Phonological Awareness: Being able to identify, segment, blend and manipulate sounds.
         Pragmatics (Language Use): Using language appropriately to be able to relate to peers and teachers.
         Augmentative & Alternative Communication (AAC): For students requiring high and low tech communication aids, such as key word sign or voice output applications.
         Eating and Drinking: For students who have difficulties with oral motor control required to safely eat or drink.
I have concerns about my child’s speech and/or language development. What can I do?
·        Share your concerns with the classroom teacher. The classroom teacher will be able to provide further information about the DET SLP referral and prioritisation process.
·        Look at the ‘Parent Resources’ tab for information on speech and language development and strategies to use at home.
·        Download the ‘SPEAK’ app by the Department of Education and Training. This app provides a range of fun, free activities, ideas and information for parents, carers and educators to support and nurture language development in children from 0-6 years of age. Multiple activities are found within each age group to help boost your child's speaking and listening ability.
Katie Morgenstern